Monday, June 2, 2008

Interns and I-banks

I had an interesting insight today. Being an intern is like being an investment bank. You want all the (quality) work you can possibly get, and there is competition to get it. I'm up "against" other interns who are all smart, driven, hard-working, and ready to do whatever the analysts ask. All of us interns talk with the analysts a lot, work with them, and are becoming their friends. But, when it comes down to getting work done, that's where you start to work like a bank.

Bankers get business through relationships. What they want is that whenever a client has any type of financing/deal making needs, they are the first bank to come to mind. Bankers want the client to actually feel bad for turning to someone else before them.

In a like manner, you want to be in the front of the analyst's mind. As an intern you want the analysts to think of you right away when they need something to get done right. You want them to know that if they only have 15 minutes to get this done, you will get it done in 13 and you'll refill their coffee with your remaining two minutes.

Although it's hard to distinguish yourself from other interns, especially since we all do basically the same things and we all have about the same relationships with the analysts/staffers/associates, I've started thinking more about how I can move myself up the line. It probably has been on my mind a lot today because none of the interns have really had much to do. I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage because I don't sit by any analysts, so I can't just look across to the opposite cube and ask a question. I actually have to leave my desk and go looking for somebody. But today I went around and asked, "What can I do to get you home earlier tonight?" The analysts really seemed to like that kind of attitude.

It's true though - you are basically here to make the analyst's life better. You want them to be happy and you want them to be successful because they have you working for them.

Anyway, it's an interesting connection. As an analyst I'm doing the very thing that the banks do - getting into the front of the line and trying to get work.

2 comments:

Ajith Kumar Puppala said...

Hi,

I want to thank you for writing such a wonderful blog, Seeing the internship thru u r experiences. Keep them coming.

Good luck for the CFA exam on saturday.

Nga Anna Vu said...

Hi,

This is such a great blog. I was wondering if you can activate the RSS feed or allow people to receive notification emails when you post a new blog.
Thanks a lot!