Monday, June 23, 2008

Demographics

Question from Megan:

As a girl, I'm curious--roughly what proportion of your colleagues are female? Do you know any female bankers who are married and/or have families?

Also: what's the dress code in your group?



Answer:
Actually I was pretty surprised how diverse it is out here. There are the same number of female interns in my group as male interns. Full-time, there is probably about a 2-to-1 ratio of guys to girls. So yeah - probably 33% are girls. The other thing is that the more senior you go, the fewer girls there are. I don't know any female bankers that are married or have families. I'm sure they exist, but I've never met or even heard of a female banker with a family.

Dress code pretty much depends on the bank. When I interviewed at all the different banks this is something that I noticed. Where I work it's business formal every day except Fridays (during the summer), and I like it that way. It helps me to remember that I'm supposed to be getting work done and not messing around. I know other banks are a lot more casual too, so it just depends on where you are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there:
First of all I would like to say that you are really doing a great job with this blog that you started. It really helps to get an insight of the ibanking.
I would like to know - how difficult it is to get into these banks from a non-core school? Do you have associates around you that dont come from a top tier school?

Anonymous said...

Hi man,

I am following your "life as a Summer Intern" and I appreciate your efforts to describe the situation completely.

I also have a question for you, which concerns me in particular, since my native language is not English (I am from Italy). How many non-native speakers are there in your department? Which kind of expectations lie upon them, in comparison to the other interns?

Greetings from Rome (the real one :-) ),
Massimiliano

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the blog. Is it possible to have your email address? I would like to ask your several questions there:)
Thanks a lot!

Cally

Anonymous said...

thanks for your blog - it's really insightful.

i'm curious whether having a finance background is directly advantageous for performing well during the internship/full time. if you are willing, could you list the types of finance and accounting courses you took, and comment briefly on how applicable each of those courses were? this would be helpful in my course selection. thanks so much.