Friday, June 27, 2008

Bonus Time

So it's bonus season for the first year analysts. It's pretty much all they talk/think/dream about these days. I think the analysts here actually made out pretty well, especially in my group. Needless to say everyone has been in a GREAT mood today. I would be happy too if I made well over $100K my first year out of college.

The second- and third-year analysts finished today. It is really weird that they are gone now. Since our group isn't huge it's like half of the analysts in the group are gone. I'm pretty sad actually - these were some great people. I was thinking today about how much I've learned from these analysts in 6 weeks. It's crazy how much you can take in just by being around smart people. We went out to lunch as a group and I felt like I did when I graduated from high school. It was weird to think that I'll probably never see a lot of these people again.

I'm not sure how this is going to affect my work. On one hand it seems like we would have more work to do since there are fewer analysts, but on the other hand it might be harder to get a lot of work because now there are more summers per analyst. Hopefully it will be the first and I'll just be slammed for these last three weeks. It's crazy to think that the internship is coming to an end! Luckily I still have a lot of time to learn and get work done.

Well it's going to be a light weekend. The group has been busy and now it's time to do the presentations. Last night I was here until 4:30am because I had two projects that had to be done by this morning. I picked up 12 books at 3:00 am, flipped them, then sent them in a car to a VP's house so he could get them before leaving tomorrow. In the meantime I was scouring through SEC filings and research reports trying to figure out what adjustments I needed to make to 9 different companies' EBITDA and EV to reflect the purchase of new vessels. Exciting stuff to be doing at 2AM.

After many hours of pulling data together and putting it into one place, we finally got it all together and the analyst I was working with told me to go home. When I got home I had to take out the garbage because it only comes on certain days, so by the time I actually got into bed it was already starting to get light outside again. I got up at 8:30 and went straight back into the office. I guess this is what it means to really be "living the dream."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say thanks for writing this blog! i'm a freshman trying to prepare for recruiting this fall and this has been a great read for me.