Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day in review

Maybe I'm feeling guilty for not posting every day, so I'm going to post three today. This is just an update of my day today, because I don't want to lost sight of the reason I started this blog - to give a look at what interns actually do every day.

Today was SLOW. All of the books got finished up last night, and today the teams are out around the country making pitches, doing road shows, and generating revenue for the firm. I, on the other hand, was back in New York with not much to do for once. So I got a hair cut. Man it was nice. This really old lady gave me a scalp massage before she cut my hair and it was amazing. Kinda weird, but really nice for relieving stress.

This afternoon I helped one of the second-year analysts pack up his stuff. He's leaving to go to Private Equity next week and is pretty much checking out. I also made some updates on a book that's due next week. It wasn't much, just creating graphs of the historical stock price for the past three years and adding in annotations of important events that have happened in that time frame. I also worked on adjusting Revenue and EBITDA numbers for a shipping company to reflect the fact that they bought ships partway through the year but were accounting for the debt as if they had held the ships since January 1. It was kind of complicated because they are not a US company, but at least it gave me something to do for a few hours.

The interns mobilized and got lunch for everybody today. It was a big ordeal to get 30 lunch orders correct, but we pulled it off. One of the associates still owes me $8.50, but he is kinda crazy so I'll give it a day before I bring it up with him.

Tonight I talked with two of the analysts about recruiting and what they are planning on doing after they are done with their two years. They both have offers to stay for a third year, but they aren't sure if they'll stay or go to PE or a hedge fund.

I spent some time reading research reports and catching up on the general news of the nation. Lots of interesting stuff happening these days. That was about it. The intern that sits next to me who is from Trinidad & Tobago taught me how to play cricket using a baseball bat (a cool deal toy if I ever saw one - it's a real bat!) and a rubber ball we found. I left at 9:45 and came home.

I'm getting kicked out of my apartment on June 30th so I'm trying to sell my furniture before I leave. It's a stressful thing to do mid-internship. I would definitely recommend that you make sure you can stay in whatever apartment you are in for the summer for the ENTIRE time you need it instead of having to worry about getting another place to stay right in the middle of your internship. Live and learn, right?

Well things are going well, and now that it's 11:00pm I'm going to go drop off my laundry around the corner. Peace out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey,

First of all - hats off to you for maintaining this entertaining blog.

Secondly, i have a question. Is there a prayer room on your floor or in the building where you work?

I know its not a typical question that you would get but I am a practicing Muslim so it matters to me.

thanks