Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quick and dirty

Yesterday was crazy! I'm writing this on Thursday because I didn't get home from the office until 1:30am. I had my first experiences "flipping books" (basicaly you take two pitch books that have just come from printing, then you set them side by side and flip through them page by page to make sure that production didn't screw up the pages or that there aren't any typos, which, invariably there are). A few times we had to switch out the pages and rebind the books, but it wasn't so bad.

Also today I was put in charge of spreading some credit comps. Man I got nailed. The associate came over to my desk and started asking me where I was getting the numbers from that I had put into the model. I had double-checked everything, but the problem was that I hadn't printed out all of the 10-Ks, 10-Qs, and 8-Ks that I had been pulling from, so when he asked where the numbers were, I couldn't just show him. He made me go back and redo everything, but this time I had to pull all the information, highlight it, and then tab it in the K so I could show him any number at any time. He also told me that I should always have a calculator with me and should always be taking notes about everything. I should write everything down that people tell me so I never forget stuff.

It was a painful experience beacuse I felt like a moron for not doing it right the first time, but in the end the associate told me that everybody has had mistakes like those and you just have to learn from it and not make the mistake again. I'm glad it happened.

Working the longer hours hasn't been that bad yet. Time goes by so fast that you don't really notice that it's been 14 hours since you came in. It would be pretty bad if you didn't have anything to do, but luckily my group is busy and they always have things for us to be working on. Plus, the more projects that I do, the more I know and the more the analysts are willing to give me. Hopefully by the end of this summer I'll be working on some interesting stuff. Well, back to work!

No comments: