Sunday, May 25, 2008

A nice weekend

Not much to report today. I found a cool website - www.hopstop.com - that tells you the quickest way to get from one place to another using buses and subways. It saved me about half an hour on my way to Church today.

I had my blackberry on me today and was kind of dreading a call. It never came, which is great. I'm still wondering if I'll get called in tomorrow, but if so that's fine with me. My plans tomorrow are just to do laundry, study for the CFA, and relax.

I've been thinking today about how I can stand out as an intern. It's kind of hard because we all do basically the same things - just check comps, update spreadsheets and slides, and check 10Ks for information. With six interns in the group, it's hard to differentiate yourself. Everybody will do ANYTHING they are asked to do, and everybody wants to work hard and show that they are willing to work for the job.

Because my desk is kind of separated from the other analysts, it's hard for them to remember I exist. When they have work to do, they turn to the intern right next to them instead of to me. Also, I don't drink, which is a favorite past time of the group, and I wonder what they think of that. I know that I have to work hard, but it almost seems like in the end, everybody is going to work hard. They got really really top interns for this group so everybody is smart and sharp. It seems like it will come down to kind of a popularity contest. I'm not the best at schmoozing and just shooting the breeze. I'd rather get a job and then work on it for a few hours. The other interns are always walking around talking with the analysts. I wonder how much I should just buckle down and work and how much I should go and "build the relationship" with the full-time guys.

Deep thoughts for the Memorial Day Weekend.

Oh - yesterday I saw the musical "Legally Blonde" and it was actually really good. The songs were good and the actors were awesome. We got student rush tickets for cheap and we got to sit on the front row. I want to see Wicked sometime when I'm out here. After the show we went to Pinkberry. It tasted like New York. Yum.

1 comment:

Ashton said...

Brandon- Don't worry too much about the networking stuff man. Just be yourself and rock it, your work will kill it. I don't have much experience to back this up, but I would bet that you're already the top intern. I'm glad I don't have to compete against you man.

Have fun out there!