Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 2: DCM, ECM, but no SXHM

Today we had our second day of training. Most of the day was filled with lectures from different departments in the firm talking about all the resources we have available to us. It's pretty amazing. If I get staffed on a deal and need all of the 10-ks and 8-ks, research reports, financials, or anything else about the industry or whatever, I just put in an order, it's outsourced to India, and a few hours later they deliver it all to me in a big book. Amazing. They also have services where you just send them the data or model that you've made in Excel and they turn it into a finished presentation ready to go! Nice stuff.

We learned about both Debt Capital Markets and ECM. Both were actually really interesting. I never thought I would like working on one of those "buffer" groups that go between S&T and banking, but I think it would be a cool experience. The DCM and Lev Fin guys had worked on over 80 deals already this year. They touch everything that comes out of the firm - it's a cool place to get a lot of experience.

We had a two-hour-long training on the firm's policies about sexual harassment. It was actually pretty good - they gave situations that have happened in the past and had us decide if it would qualify as harassment or not. They also did that with confidentiality and other areas that we have to be careful of. We just can't be specific about anything when we talk about what we're working on. Some stories we heard were crazy - I couldn't believe that people would be a dumb as they are.

I filled in the down time playing brickbreaker on my Blackberry. I'll have to be careful that I don't let that become a habit, but the game is kind of addicting. I went and saw Steve Southwick and found out that I'll be on the same floor as him.

Well we have one more day of training. Tomorrow will be the Excel training and the introduction to DealMaven. Good thing I've already done it! I went and met the guys in my group and they seem to be pretty cool. There's a lot of work right now because the group is really busy and all of the second years just left, so we'll be busy right away. I'm looking forward to it because I want to get as much experience as I can this summer.

I love this bank. Every day when I meet more people and hear more about the firm, I'm so glad I came here. The culture fits well and I can't wait to get to work.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

What's SXHM?