Monday, February 16, 2009

Accepting the Offer

One of you asked, "In one of my interviews I was asked:"If I give you an offer now, will you take it?" How would you answer this question?"

The answer, like pretty much everything else in the world, is that it depends. When I was interviewing, even though I sold myself to every bank as if they were my top choice, I clearly had my top choice in mind. In fact, I ranked all the banks based on my own measures of "culture", "prestige", "exit opportunities", "analyst experience", "group / industry opportunities", etc.

I'm sure everybody has their top choice, so if you are interviewing with this bank, and they ask you the question, it's not a lie to go ahead and say that you would accept. BUT, you want to be cautious in how you answer. If you say that you would accept, take it as another chance to show that you've done your homework and understand exactly what you would be accepting.

I would say something like, "You know, I would be glad to accept that offer for a few reasons. First of all, I've taken time to meet with people at pretty much every bank on the street, and I feel like the people here not only care about the analyst experience, but they are very intelligent and will challenge me to be better. Second, it's important to me to be able to contribute a lot, and your bank is known for giving analysts lots of responsibility. I know this is a great challenge, but it's one I would gladly take on. Third, I feel like your bank is the best positioned to take advantage of the current market situation, due in large part to [XYZ]."

But, because you might get offers from banks other than your top choice, you want to be very careful not to pin yourself in a corner. Don't commit to accepting an offer just so you can get the offer. If you say you'll accept, get the offer, and then reject it, that not only reflects poorly on you, but also reflects poorly on your school, and could lead to big problems you don't want to face. In short, it would be unethical to lie, so don't do it!

If I'm not sure I'm going to accept, I would answer by saying something like this:
"You know, if I were lucky enough to receive an offer from you, I would treat it like I do any important decision [or you could say, any investment I've made or whatever] in my life. I would take some time to think about what is important to me, what the costs/benefits will be of either choice, and then I'll sleep on it. As it stands right now, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't accept, and surely interviewing with many people here today has helped me get a much better understanding for the "feel" of the firm."

If they give you the offer and press you to accept it or lose it (another variation is when they say that there are three spots and five candidates, and the first three to accept get a spot), I might reply like this:
"Frankly I would like to work for a bank that hires me because I fit the qualifications of the job and am the best person for the position, not because of my willingness to accept on the spot. Like I said, I think your bank is great and am honored to have an offer. I'd just like to think it through before I make a decision that will have a potentially huge impact on my life and career going forward."

Take this all with a grain of salt - it's all just my opinion. I think it is very unwise to accept anything on the spot unless you have already thought through the implications of taking the offer. If it's a take-it-or-leave-it deal, then I'll leave it 99% of the time unless I can think it through first. I hope this helps!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, great advice. thank you.

i shouldn't have told everyone they were my first choice...

joeher@live.com said...

Maybe a moot point now given the current climate but I really dig how you control the situation in the third scenario and use the bank's aggressiveness to put them in a bind. Like a judo master who uses his opponents own momentum against him--brilliant. You have a good grasp of social dynamics and political wordplay. Again, well-played.

~Joseph

joeher85@live.com said...

Maybe a moot point now given the current climate but I really dig how you control the situation in the third scenario and use the bank's aggressiveness to put them in a bind. Like a judo master who uses his opponents own momentum against him--brilliant. You have a good grasp of social dynamics and political wordplay. Again, well-played.

~Joseph