Friday, December 12, 2008

Trainwreck

Well Friday was my final day at Treasury. What an amazing run it's been! Below I'm posting a time line put together by our Markets Room that shows the events that have got us to where we are. The amazing thing is that every event after the second week of August is something I was here for.

I just had my picture taken with Neel Kashkari (Treasury's way of saying, "Thanks for working 14 hours a day, six days a week for free for the last four and a half months!") and it was pretty cool. The best part was that after the photo I got to just sit there in his office for a while and talk about things. He asked about my future plans (and he likes the bank I'm going to work for - good news), talked about life, and talked about what it feels like to run $700 B. I've been in plenty of meetings with Neel before, but this was the first time I got to just talk with him one-on-one.

I thanked him for his leadership and told him I was impressed with his composure on the Hill two days ago when so many irate congressmen and women took pot shots at him. He responded by saying that it has long been his nature to fight back when people attack him, but that he's had to work hard to acquire the ability to sit there and listen without being hostile back to hostile attackers. Much respect for Neel Kashkari.

I'm putting together a post of things I heard/experienced while at Treasury this past semester. I guess one way I can describe my experience here is like that of someone watching a train wreck in slow motion: it's incredibly interesting and intriguing, and at the same time horrifying.


LINK TO THE TIME LINE

3 comments:

jjpp said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and learnt a great deal. I wish I had the opportunity to a portion of my time at school doing this!

Anonymous said...

Could you tell us a little more about your story? How could you get into the Treasury? Why do you decide to give up one semester to work for it? Is it something like an internship program, which is required by BYU?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous said...

I have the same question. Would you mind sharing with us more about your story. Thanky ou so much.